The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Incidental main motions

Sean Hunt

One thing that has confused me for a bit now, and I've only started to fully realize this, is that I'm not clear on when an incidental motion may be an incidental main motion. For instance, if a member believes that a matter is so urgent that it should come before reports in the order of business, and he moves to Suspend the Rules to take a matter up immediately, is that an incidental main motion since no business is pending? If so, is it debateable, since main motions are normally debateable? Couldn't debate on the motion defeat the purpose of moving it to address a matter immediately?

(Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the rules on me, so there may be some special case I'm missing that makes my specific example unusual. If so, please substitute an example that does not have this problem)

One thing that has confused me for a bit now, and I've only started to fully realize this, is that I'm not clear on when an incidental motion may be an incidental main motion. For instance, if a member believes that a matter is so urgent that it should come before reports in the order of business, and he moves to Suspend the Rules to take a matter up immediately, is that an incidental main motion since no business is pending? If so, is it debateable, since main motions are normally debateable? Couldn't debate on the motion defeat the purpose of moving it to address a matter immediately?

(Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the rules on me, so there may be some special case I'm missing that makes my specific example unusual. If so, please substitute an example that does not have this problem)

Such a motion is an incidental motion to Suspend the Rules, even when made while no motion is pending. It is, therefore, neither debatable nor amendable.

The reason is perhaps explained at RONR (11th ed.), p. 69, ll. 11-19:

As a class, incidental motions deal with questions of procedure arising out of :

(1) commonly, another pending motion; but also

(2) sometimes, another motion or item of business

a) that it is desired to introduce,

B) that has been made but has not yet been stated by the chair, or

c) that has just been pending.

The example given appears to fall into category (2)(a).

Archived