The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Counted votes on secondary motions in the minutes

Sean Hunt

George, you're probably getting a bit more than the standard online rate of $4.50/hr, so would you care to throw in a citation? :)

Are you disagreeing with George?

Neh, but if he is, he'll be by (within a quarterly time interval) to tell me why. Nothing in RONR suggests that a secondary motion that was lost (and thereby not recorded at all – p. 470, l. 1) is somehow transformed into one that should be recorded in the minutes solely by virtue of the fact that the vote was counted.

Are you disagreeing with George?

Neh, but if he is, he'll be by (within a quarterly time interval) to tell me why. Nothing in RONR suggests that a secondary motion that was lost (and thereby not recorded at all – p. 470, l. 1) is somehow transformed into one that should be recorded in the minutes solely by virtue of the fact that the vote was counted.

I'm not disagreeing, but I had hoped that whatever reasoning or citation you had would both explain your answer and also show whether a count of the vote on a secondary motion that is alluded to in the minutes should be included. For example, would the minutes say, "a ballot vote having been ordered, the tellers ..." or, rather, "a ballot vote having been ordered by a vote of 35 in the affirmative and 25 in the negative, the tellers ..."?

I'm not disagreeing, but I had hoped that whatever reasoning or citation you had would both explain your answer and also show whether a count of the vote on a secondary motion that is alluded to in the minutes should be included. For example, would the minutes say, "a ballot vote having been ordered, the tellers ..." or, rather, "a ballot vote having been ordered by a vote of 35 in the affirmative and 25 in the negative, the tellers ..."?

No, that’s fair.

I don’t think I need to add more than the above regarding Sean’s direct question since RONR is clear on p. 470 line 1 that the motion isn’t recorded at all, and yes, I do think that a secondary motion where a ballot vote has been ordered would be included and it might read something like: “A ballot vote having been ordered on the motion to: “Suspend the Rules and……", the tellers report that there were 35 votes in the affirmative and 15 votes in the negative, and the motion was adopted.”

• 3 weeks later...

Archived