The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Issues Recorded in Minutes

YFaure

In the college organization that I am Chairman for, we have a special point of business at the beginning of our agenda for every Executive Board meeting, titled "Matters of Concernment." This section is meant to allow for any of the Board members to bring to light any issues within the Board (i.e. a member's excessive lateness, a member's dearth of communicated updates, etc)

I understand that what should be recorded in the Minutes should be decisions, motions, votes, etc., and that discussions are not necessary. After further reading the FAQ page, I read that including discussed matters "is improper to do so."

So if a members rises to address an issue, "Treasurer rises and states, 'I am tired of getting the budget forms from the President a week late. I want them on time!'" After he states his concern, no motion is made to resolve or censure, etc. So because no motion was made, would it be best NOT to record this concern in the Minutes because no motions were made? Or would it be best to record the Treasurer's concern in the Minutes?

Our bylaws have nothing on the matter as to what should or should not be included in the Minutes, thus we default to RRO.

So because no motion was made, would it be best NOT to record this concern in the Minutes because no motions were made?

That's correct. If the Treasurer would like it to go on record, he should move a censure. Or amend the rule specifying the deadline so that the Treasurer can ignore late forms, or something of the like.

This is a common misunderstanding about minutes.

There is another thread about reports, same issue.

If during the treasures report, he presented fact upon fact about how awful the President is and everything bad he has done.

Minute would say:

The Treasure Report was received.

If the treasures wants to do something he need to do something.

Imagine if a Secretary had to record what was said -

Minutes would be longer than RONR at some meetings I have attended.

Archived