The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda & New Business Items

carlw1@earthlink.net

Then I don't understand, in RONR p. 372 l. 29-33 it says "Unless a precirculated agenda is formally adopted at the session to which it applies, it is not binding as to detail or order of consideration". So I would assume from this if an agenda is precirculated and adopted then new business items couldn't be introduced, doesn't this overrule what you stated because it is formally adopted?

In the regular order of business, "New Business" is an opportunity for members to introduce any new subject. It's possible to put New Business into an agenda with the same intent, but if a number of items are already listed, there may be a presumption that the category is limited to those items. A member who wishes to bring up an unlisted matter could ask for unanimous consent or formally move to amend the agenda. Or she could just make the motion and, if ruled out of order, Appeal.

. . . if a number of items are already listed, there may be a presumption that the category is limited to those items.

Yes, I think this presumption is consistent with the "principle of interpretation" that (roughly translated) says that if certain things are specifically authorized, other things of the same class are thereby prohibited. Though, as you suggest, amendment of the agenda is always an option.

So if our By-Laws require 5 days notice of any new business item, then the way we adopt an agenda would rule out any new business items being introduced at a meeting, correct?

From our By-Laws 9.02e "Any new business that a Board member wants to place on the agenda, must be submitted in writing to the President at least five(5) days prior to the meeting."

It seems you have enshrined the undemocratic notion that the president sets the agenda.

Well, he's just the designated recipient of the submitted items. It's not clear whether he has the authority to reject any of them.

Though the "five (5)" citation flags these bylaws as (in my mind at least) worthy of suspicion.

I can see your point about the President. It could be taken that way since the operative word is "want" which doesn't appear to require the President to place the item on the agenda. Just so you we've never viewed it that way and the President have never denied placing a motion on the agenda as long as it meets the 5 day rule. To defend this, we don't like surprise motions and furthermore we want members to understand a motion prior to its consideration. I concede , we should re-write the passage so that president is required to place it on the agenda and all meetings require an approved agenda.

Q. Could a member introduce a new main motion when the agenda is being considered?

Q. But if that was done wouldn't that be in violation of the By-Laws at that point because of the "Any new business that a Board member wants to place on the agenda, must be submitted in writing to the President at least five(5) days prior to the meeting"must first be submitted to the president?

So if our By-Laws require 5 days notice of any new business item, then the way we adopt an agenda would rule out any new business items being introduced at a meeting, correct?

From our By-Laws 9.02e "Any new business that a Board member wants to place on the agenda, must be submitted in writing to the President at least five(5) days prior to the meeting."

If there is nothing in the bylaws that provides that this pre-loaded agenda is actually binding without the (majority) approval of the board, then I'd say it still isn't. The first item of business would then presumably be the approval of the agenda. If that does not happen, then it's not binding and any member can move a main motion under New Business.

The President of our Site Condominium Board did not put a VERY important item that he wanted to discuss on the agenda. He decided to bring it up himself under new business. He is proposing changing our Association Bylaws. He then moved for a "staw vote" without a motion or a second and by a show of hands without roll call said that he had sufficient "votes" to move forward with cirulating a questionnaire to homeowners asking them to vote on the different bylaws. He is accepting the returned questionnaires anonimiously and their is no "oversight committee" to see what the results are. Can he do any of this?

Can the President of a Board bring up an item under "new business" that he wants to discuss and then continue to be in charge of this discussion. What if he states personal opinions that are purely conjecture and makes statements that are inaccurate concerning the topic, and then when he choses he just calls for a staw vote and then counts hands w/o a roll call and then decides he can move forward with his proposal. Is this allowed?

Archived