The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Guest Jake L.

Hi,

Our chapter recently passed an event without specifying a time to accompany the date. A couple of days before the event, a time was specified in an email sent out, but the email did not ask for a vote or for it to be passed. We were just informed of a time. Now, I'm being put on trial because the time we were told was a time that I could not attend at. Would I have a case for being found not guilty of attending because I was not given ample time to adjust my schedule, it was not voted on, and it was not passed formally?

Would I have a case for being found not guilty of attending because I was not given ample time to adjust my schedule, it was not voted on, and it was not passed formally?

This is for the trial assembly or committee to decide. However, in my opinion, if missing such an event could result in discipline, I would make sure my whole day was available if I didn't know the time in advance.

I am with Edgar - why would you want to be a member of an organization that would punish you for not attending an event.

It would be up to the organization if you are guilty, but I do believe that you do have a defence mainly because, unless the organization has a legal right to force you to attend, you are free to attend or miss any event of your choice.

Archived