The Official RONR Q & A Forums

when does official business start in Generalbody meeting

Jayadev

In our constitution of a not for profit organization one of the articles is :

"An Annual Meeting of the HTGC General Body shall be held on the first Sunday of December of every calendar year, at the principal office of the corporation in Lemont, Illinois. Four new trustees shall be elected to serve for the following four (4) years at this meeting and the results of the elections shall be announced at this meeting."

But the board of the trustees sent out an agenda stating the election of trustess in the morning 10 AM to 1 PM and regular general body meeting in the afternoon at 2 PM. Basically the elections are taking place even before the general body assembles and even without checking for a valid quroum?

My question is it legal to conduct elections even before general body assmble where as constitution clear says elections shall be held in the generalbody?

Thanks

Jay

Perhaps the polls are open before the meeting in anticipation of a quorum showing up at the formal meeting.

But this sort of arrangement, and all associated rules (like what happens to the election if no quorum shows up, &c) would have to be spelled out in your bylaws -- it isn't a "system" recognized by RONR.

So find and read your bylaws with care -- have fun!

Basically the elections are taking place even before the general body assembles and even without checking for a valid quorum?

I'm not so sure. It may be that the annual meeting is divided into two parts: one in the morning for elections and one in the afternoon for all other business. So if "regular general body meeting" were the actual words used in the notice to describe the afternoon part, they may just have been an unfortunate choice of words. In any case, I think that's at least one way of looking at this.

AfeqTb

Voting is for memebrs only who can attend the general body but not to any other persons . Name on the membership list with a proper id only allows a person to enter into polling area. After polling the Genereral body takes place and most of the time there was no quroum. Becasue majority of the members leave after voting not staying for Regular business of general body. It occuerd lot of times. No quorum and no genereal body but every year new trustees were elected. My question is were these trustees elected duely acording to constitution?

Thanks

Jay

Archived