The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ways to affirm report content

Guest Bob Forsythe

An informational report is presented to an "assembly" by a standing committee which had been requested to present such a report at the previous meeting of the assembly. There are NO recommendations for action presented.

The presenter wants some type of affirmation of the committee's work. He asked that the report be received. I indicated that such a motion is not appropriate. (pg 506, 508,525) What are other options? It is understood that to adopt the report would be, at best, dangerous. Is a motion to "affirm the principal points made in the report" permissable? I know this would be wide open to interpretation, but I am at a bit of a loss as to how to help the presenter judge the level of agreement or disagreement with report among members of the assembly.

The presenter wants some type of affirmation of the committee's work.

How about a motion to commend the committee?

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to help the presenter judge the level of agreement or disagreement with report among members of the assembly.

How does one agree or disagree with "information"? If some action is suggested by the report, then the presenter should make a motion. That's how you judge agreement.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

In the particular instance that recently arose, one member of the assembly indicated that the report did not include all the requested parts. The report covered history and the direction the standing committee has taken, but did not cover the options considered by the standing committee before deciding on the present direction. There were only a few comments to that effect, but the presenter wanted to know if that was a widespread opinion or not. He felt that if the report were received, it would mean that no further work was needed.

Of course your meetings are subject to your own custom. But in a formal setting, discussion is not permitted without a motion before the meeting—this is the heart and soul of moving business forward. It also forestalls confusion such as resulted on the part of the reporting member. Unfocused discussion left him wondering what to do next.

To answer your original question, yes, you could move to "affirm the principal points of the report," which has the effect of putting the assembly on record with that opinion.

The most appropriate response, I think, would be for the chair to say to the presenter, "Thank you. The report will be received, and placed on file", and to have the report handed to the secretary. No motion is required to "receive" a report, because once reported, it actually has been received, and voting on a fait accompli is pointless.

The question of whether the standing committee needs more work on any given matter is up to the assembly to decide. If they want to hand it back for more work they can use the motion to Recommit. If they don't do that, then the standing committee may presume that its work on that particular matter is done.

Archived