The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections/Change in By-Laws

eljames999

Recently, we held officer elections, which are for one-year terms. Once elections were completed, about six months later, there was a vote and motion passed that terms will extend from one year to two years. My question is when does this change go into affect? Would it be upon the new term of election or while the current term is in existence?

Recently, we held officer elections, which are for one-year terms. Once elections were completed, about six months later, there was a vote and motion passed that terms will extend from one year to two years. My question is when does this change go into affect? Would it be upon the new term of election or while the current term is in existence?

The change takes effect immediately unless a proviso was adopted delaying its effect. RONR (11th ed.), p. 575.

Well, such a change cannot be approved on an ordinary main motion. Terms of offices are bylaw-level rules, and only a bylaws amendment can alter them.

If your change was properly adopted (following the rules contained in the bylaws for their own amendment), then it would take effect as soon as it was passed, unless the motion provided for some other time.

Archived