The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Draft of Minutes Never Approved

Watson

I have been appointed to a standing committee that meets only 'as needed'. The last meeting was over a year ago. On the agenda I see Approval of Minutes that were drafted in 2011. What really should be done with drafts that escape approval and then suddenly reappear? The meeting currently scheduled is a 'special meeting' of the committee so I conclude that placing 'Approval' on the Agenda is also improper. Thanks for clarifying this issue. --RTW

I have been appointed to a standing committee that meets only 'as needed'. The last meeting was over a year ago. On the agenda I see Approval of Minutes that were drafted in 2011. What really should be done with drafts that escape approval and then suddenly reappear? The meeting currently scheduled is a 'special meeting' of the committee so I conclude that placing 'Approval' on the Agenda is also improper. Thanks for clarifying this issue. --RTW

A committee typically doesn't have minutes and it's very unusual for it to have special meetings. If you do have minutes, you should approve them, even if none of the members were there when the minutes were taken.

As for a special meeting, I would bring it up if committee members would be expected to be able to bring up any new business, because it's not a special meeting in spirit. If there is expected to be only one or two items and no other business will be permitted, then I would save it for a later meeting if this is atypical.

If this "agenda" is included in the call of the special meeting to notify members of the purposes for which it is being called, then all's well.

Archived