The Official RONR Q & A Forums

quorum vote

Guest Barbara M.

Sure. The quorum is a distinct matter from voting thresholds. Even if four of them had abstained -- the vote then being one in favor and none against, or vice versa -- that would be fine. Unobjectionable and even unremarkable*.

(My apologies for the delay. I thought Sean was on.)

*Unremarkable from a procedural standpoint. But board members are expected to be more active than acquiescent. Granted I do not have a RONR citation for this at hand (but I bet John or Tim does).

In a board meeting where the minimum quorum is present (5 out of 9 members), if one members abstains on a vote, is the vote valid with only 4 members voting?

In most cases yes. The only exceptions would be if the the motion required a voe of those present, or a vote of the entire membership, then it could have an impact. Of course three out of five would still sufficient to pass a motion even if one member abstains (so only four voted.)

• 2 weeks later...

In a board meeting where the minimum quorum is present (5 out of 9 members), if one members abstains on a vote, is the vote valid with only 4 members voting?

Sure, as long as the abstaining member is still present. Quorum means the number of members who must be in the room. They need not vote.

Even if one person voted yes, and everyone else abstained, that still satisfies the requirements of a majority vote.

Sure. The quorum is a distinct matter from voting thresholds. Even if four of them had abstained -- the vote then being one in favor and none against, or vice versa -- that would be fine. Unobjectionable and even unremarkable*.

If all abstained, it would still be "fine" and a valid vote . . . just not one that adopts anything. :)

*Unremarkable from a procedural standpoint. But board members are expected to be more active than acquiescent. Granted I do not have a RONR citation for this at hand (but I bet John or Tim does).

Actually, this is the case of any member of any body. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 407, ll. 12-15, which states, in part, ". . . it is the duty of every member who has an opinion on a question to express it by his vote . . ."

Archived