The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignations

YFaure

It is to my understanding that in order for a Board Member to resign, his resignation must be voted on. All of the resources I have looked through state what should happen if the resignation is accepted. But what if the member is unwilling to continue with his duties, and the Board votes not to accept the resignation? This is for a college organization, so the Board is small, made up of only 4 members; and there are no dues owed and the officer is in good standing.

When a resignation is offered, it should be accepted. While the Board does not have to accept the resignation, there is no reason why they should not. As for the Board member, I'd suggest just walking away and not having anything to do with the Board - that's the only option when the Board refuses to accept the resignation.

Is there a reason why the Board is unable, or more likely unwilling, to accept the resignation? I'd still just go with the one member simply walking away from the Board and leave it at that - if the Board doesn't want to accept the resignation it's their problem having an empty seat at Board meeting.

It is to my understanding that in order for a Board Member to resign, his resignation must be voted on. All of the resources I have looked through state what should happen if the resignation is accepted. But what if the member is unwilling to continue with his duties, and the Board votes not to accept the resignation? This is for a college organization, so the Board is small, made up of only 4 members; and there are no dues owed and the officer is in good standing.

"The duties of a position must not be abandoned until a resignation has been accepted and becomes effective, or at least until there has been a reasonable opportunity for it to be accepted." RONR, 11th ed., p. 291, ll. 10-13 (emphasis supplied).

Most organizations have no right to compel officers to remain in office against their will any longer than is absolutely necessary to protect the interests of the organization. Whether or not your board has any justification for refusing to accept this member's resignation is something that those involved will need to determine.

When a resignation is offered, it should be accepted. While the Board does not have to accept the resignation, there is no reason why they should not.

"The duties of a position must not be abandoned until a resignation has been accepted and becomes effective, or at least until there has been a reasonable opportunity for it to be accepted." RONR, 11th ed., p. 291, ll. 10-13 (emphasis supplied).

...Whether or not your board has any justification for refusing to accept this member's resignation is something that those involved will need to determine.

So even if the Board votes not to accept the resignation, the officer can just simply walk out and leave his office right then and there? It would be perfectly okay for the person to do so, as according to Rev Ed?

And it would be up to the Board's discretion to determine what when would be an appropriate time in order to "protect the interests of the organization," correct?

And is the officer compelled to give his/her reason(s) for the resignation? Or could a simple letter stating he/she is resigning do?

So even if the Board votes not to accept the resignation, the officer can just simply walk out and leave his office right then and there? It would be perfectly okay for the person to do so, as according to Rev Ed?

Well, Mr. Honemann wrote the book so take your pick.

One reason to reject a resignation is to ensure that the officer remains subject to disciplinary action by the society. Expelling him, for example, rather than accepting his resignation, might affect his future eligibility to hold office, depending on the rules of the society.

Procedurally it would be proper for the officer to walk away after there has been a reasonable opportunity for the resignation to be accepted. However, if enough members of the body which is authorized to discipline this person believe that he abandoned the office before a reasonable opportunity to accept the resignation was provided they can subject him to disciplinary action. Of course, he could also be punished for abandoning his duties after the Board declined to accept the resignation though I would be strongly disinclined to vote to do so unless it was prior to December of 1865 (when slavery was abolished in the US).

And it would be up to the Board's discretion to determine what when would be an appropriate time in order to "protect the interests of the organization," correct?

Well, the Board can determine whatever they want and it very well may be reasonable but that doesn't mean that the officer that is resigning can't disagree and walk away anyway.

And is the officer compelled to give his/her reason(s) for the resignation? Or could a simple letter stating he/she is resigning do?

A letter will suffice as far as RONR is concerned and no reasons are required. If pressed there is always the handy "for personal reasons" which can range from wanting to spend more time with the family to checking into the closest BHU because the stress of dealing with the people in the organization has caused them to have a break with reality (and I have actually seen it happen :().

One reason to reject a resignation is to ensure that the officer remains subject to disciplinary action by the society.

Of course, he could also be punished for abandoning his duties after the Board declined to accept the resignation though I would be strongly disinclined to vote to do so unless it was prior to December of 1865 (when slavery was abolished in the US).

The member is in good standing and no disciplinary action would be needed.

And that actually puts my question to rest with that pre-1865 comment lol Well put. Thank you so much everyone for your help once again! :)

"Everyone" gets thanked, even though only four regulars participated?

I am affronted. My dudgeon and escutcheon and couple more things.

Now I must compose a poem with "dudgeon" and "escutcheon" rhyming.

And maybe rhyming "escutcheon" with "YFaure".

(Neat trick, eh? And a deal, at $4.50 an hour, even at night rates!

(Maybe "YFaure" rhymes with "Eddore." But then we all better have to re-read the excruciating "Lensman" books, and my eyeballs barely survived reading the first, "Triplaanetary," last month.

Fortunately OP YFaure is easily satisfied.

Archived