The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Another Question Regarding Special Meetings

Guest Jeremy

Hello,

I asked a question a few days ago regarding Special meetings, and was told (from what I gathered from the very knowledgeable and lengthy responses I received that what is proposed in the petition to hold a special meeting is the only thing that can be placed on the Agenda and discussed.

My question this time is that, If a motion to DENY a request was brought from a committee, then the motion to DENY the request failed when voted on by the whole organization, can this motion be brought back up in the special meeting if it had been previously been brought up in a previous meeting, yet is not specifically listed in the petition.

I asked a question a few days ago regarding Special meetings, and was told . . . that what is proposed in the petition to hold a special meeting is the only thing that can be placed on the Agenda and discussed.

Well, not exactly. It's not the contents of any petition requesting a special meeting that limits the business that can be conducted, it's the contents of the notice (or "call") of the special meeting.

The Call said that It was to address Pending Recommendations and Any Unfinished Business.... which I do not believe is specific at all!

No, that's not nearly specific enough, unless every member knew what the pending recommendations were, and what the unfinished business was, which seems unlikely.

My question this time is that, If a motion to DENY a request was brought from a committee, then the motion to DENY the request failed when voted on by the whole organization, can this motion be brought back up in the special meeting if it had been previously been brought up in a previous meeting, yet is not specifically listed in the petition.

Motions to DENY a request (and any other motions phrased in the negative) are not in order, because passing it and rejecting it have the same effect as doing nothing. If the motion passes, the request is not approved. But if it does not pass, the request is still unapproved.

If a committee wants to recommend denying a request, it should recommend a No vote on the motion to approve it.

How about recommending that no such motion be made, other than recommending it be made so that it can be lost? ;)

Well, that would work as far as not granting it, but I was opining on how a committee could recommend affirmatively denying it. That might be more desirable if the requesting party was observed hanging around waiting for some sort of decision.

Well, that would work as far as not granting it, but I was opining on how a committee could recommend affirmatively denying it. That might be more desirable if the requesting party was observed hanging around waiting for some sort of decision.

The most efficient way to be done with a request that requires approval is for no one to make a motion to approve it. The second most efficient way is for no one to second such a motion.

Archived