The Official RONR Q & A Forums
GregoryHofer

suspending a motion

Recently our Executive Board voted and approved to suspend our policy and procedures manual because it was somewhat

outdated. However we have come to learn that there are motions that were approved by the membership in that manual.

Does RONR allow motions to be suspended, if so what page would I be able to locate that information?

I know RONR allows motions to suspend the agenda or to suspend the reading of the minutes but can we also suspend motions that

are considered to be working rules?

Recently our Executive Board voted and approved to suspend our policy and procedures manual because it was somewhat

outdated. However we have come to learn that there are motions that were approved by the membership in that manual.

Does RONR allow motions to be suspended, if so what page would I be able to locate that information?

I know RONR allows motions to suspend the agenda or to suspend the reading of the minutes but can we also suspend motions that

are considered to be working rules?

A rule that has its application outside of the session in progress cannot be suspended. Inside a meeting, a rule can only be suspended for a particular purpose; a rule itself cannot be suspended indefinitely.

Thanks Tim,

Can you give me a page number in RONR for that, I'm hoping to refer others in my group to that rule.

In case Tim started his holiday early - RONR (11th ed.), p. 264, l. 29 to p. 265, l. 7

The Board could move to rescind rules it adopted, but not rules/procedures adopted by the membership. RONR (11th ed.), p.305 & RONR (11th ed.), p. 483, ll. 6-9.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.