The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest Marti Ackerman

Special Meeting Notice

Guest Marti Ackerman

Our Board set a date for a Special Meeting to discuss one topic only. The date was set at the Regularly Scheduled Board of Directors Meeting. Following the meeting some new information was received and the Board President thought it best to "move ahead" the date of the Special Meeting. She followed our Bylaws and gave a one week notice of the new date of the Special Meeting. Prior to calling the meeting she contacted each member of the Board to see if they would be available. 7 of the 9 could be in attendance. Now, one of the two who could not attend claims that since the "Board agreed on a meeting date in full session, to call and change that date and not have all dissenting board members present might be against the rules." Can anyone tell me if we are breaking any of Robert's Rules?

Not Robert's Rules most likely, because RONR leaves the detailed rules for calling special meetings up to the organization that wants to have them. So that leaves your rules.

But it certainly isn't proper for a president or any officer to change a meeting date that was agreed to in a regular meeting, unless the bylaws give the officer that authority.

So give your bylaws a close reading

Our Board set a date for a Special Meeting to discuss one topic only. The date was set at the Regularly Scheduled Board of Directors Meeting. Following the meeting some new information was received and the Board President thought it best to "move ahead" the date of the Special Meeting. She followed our Bylaws and gave a one week notice of the new date of the Special Meeting. Prior to calling the meeting she contacted each member of the Board to see if they would be available. 7 of the 9 could be in attendance. Now, one of the two who could not attend claims that since the "Board agreed on a meeting date in full session, to call and change that date and not have all dissenting board members present might be against the rules." Can anyone tell me if we are breaking any of Robert's Rules?

So long as the president is authorized to call special meetings, and as long as proper notice was sent to all members in accordance with the bylaws, the meeting is valid. However, this is not an example of CHANGING the date of the special meeting called by the board. This is a separate session.

Guest Edgar

But it certainly isn't proper for a president or any officer to change a meeting date that was agreed to in a regular meeting, unless the bylaws give the officer that authority.

I agree but perhaps what happened is something like this:

At the regular meeting on November 1 a special meeting was (properly) called for November 20.

On November 5 the president (properly) called a special meeting for November 15.

Some members (including the president) may think the 11/20 meeting was moved to 11/15 when, in fact, two separate special meetings were (properly) called.

Perhaps.

Note: This reply was composed before Mr. Wynn's reply and, though I think it says essentially the same thing, I decided to post it anyway.

Note: This reply was composed before Mr. Wynn's reply and, though I think it says essentially the same thing, I decided to post it anyway.

I'm glad you did. I can't imagine any original poster would be bothered by multiple answers that agree. I suspect it adds some comfort for those who ask the questions. :)

Guest Marti

Thank you for your replies! So, we now have TWO special sessions called. Can the second session be cancelled at the first session or do we need to actually hold both sessions (even if the second is not needed)?

Or in this case, perhaps if the motion to hold the meeting allowed the President to change the date.

Thank you for your replies! So, we now have TWO special sessions called. Can the second session be cancelled at the first session or do we need to actually hold both sessions (even if the second is not needed)?

Was the question of canceling the second session included in the call of the first? If not, then it cannot be considered.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.