The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ah Hoc Committees

lorry

I have been researching Robert's Rules trying to find some specific details on how Ad Hoc committees should be established and members appointed to same. I am looking for an answer in this case on behalf of a volunteer organization that is incorporated under California corporation laws.

Our parent organization (we are one of 18 Regions under that parent) has the following statement included in their bylaws:

AD HOC/TASK FORCES

Ad Hoc and Task Forces will include AHA members and other industry professionals as assigned by the President.

Does Robert's Rules address this issue anywhere or is it strickly an entity by entity within each one's Bylaws?

Thanking you in advance.

RONR pp. 174-175 discusses appointing members to a Special Committee (also known as an Ad Hoc Committee) but your bylaws seem to cover who is supposed to appoint the members and who needs to serve on them quite nicely.

I thought that was the case but wanted to pass it by this group to be sure we were in no way opposed to Robert's Rules. Thanks for your response.

I thought that was the case but wanted to pass it by this group to be sure we were in no way opposed to Robert's Rules. Thanks for your response.

Well, what your Bylaws say actually is slightly in conflict with RONR, but your Bylaws take precedence, so that is not a problem. RONR provides that special committees are created and appointed by the assembly, although the assembly may delegate the authority to appoint to the chair if it wishes. RONR also places no restrictions on who may be appointed as a member of the committee.

I have been researching Robert's Rules trying to find some specific details on how Ad Hoc committees should be established and members appointed to same. I am looking for an answer in this case on behalf of a volunteer organization that is incorporated under California corporation laws.

Our parent organization (we are one of 18 Regions under that parent) has the following statement included in their bylaws:

AD HOC/TASK FORCES

Ad Hoc and Task Forces will include AHA members and other industry professionals as assigned by the President.

Does Robert's Rules address this issue anywhere or is it strickly an entity by entity within each one's Bylaws?

Thanking you in advance.

"Ad hoc" is simply another designation for what RONR calls "special" or "select" committees.

Archived