The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations and Elections

johnapril

Hello all,

I looked on this forum and cannot find an answer to my question.

What is the proper order to nominate officers. We have President, 1st V. P., 2nd V.P. and 3rd vp. "NORMALLY the 3rd, 2nd and 1st vp move up in order, and a NEW member is nominated and elected for 3rd VP." So do I start with President, or bottom chair for nominations? Secretary and Treasurer are also in the mix, but for the most part these positions are the same people for a number of years.

And also, would this order be the same for ELECTIONS.

thanks,

John

Another quick item. If we have only 1 person nominated for each office, at the election next month, can a motion be made that all members nominated be automatically elected to their respective offices? And what is the verbage of the motion to be made.

many thanks all.

John

Per RONR (11th Ed., p. 443 ll. 7-12) if only one person is nominated for an office and the bylaws do not require a ballot vote be taken, the chair may simply announce the nominee elected by "acclamation" (or unanimous consent). No need for a motion to do so. But check your bylaws for that ballot vote requirement. If it's there, then you must have a ballot vote.

Archived