The Official RONR Q & A Forums

May a non-voting member of the board make a motion ?

Guest Sherry Goodill

Generally, yes, members of the board with voting rights that are restricted may make motions...

Do you have a RONR citation for that, or are you making assumptions about what is "generally" found in Bylaws? :)

May a non-voting member of the board make a motion?

It depends on how your Bylaws define the rights of the non-voting member. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

Do you have a RONR citation for that, or are you making assumptions about what is "generally" found in Bylaws? :)

Well, now that you asked, my assumption was, if the only explicit expressed limitation relates to voting rights, then p. 590 #5) and #6) would generally apply. But, I've never seen the organization's bylaws so I won't offer her an interpretation. ;)

I used to think it would be sensible to prevent non-voting members from making motions, to avoid wasting time on measures not supported by any voting member. Then I realized that it would be rather pointless to confer rights---such as attendance and speaking rights, which are the rights I think are usually meant to be ascribed to "non-voting members" when the term isn't (misleadingly) used to mean "someone who ought to be present"---to someone without, at the very least, conferring upon them the right to raise a Point of Order.

May a non-voting member of the board make a motion?

RONR doesn't have "non-voting" members. Voting is a fundamental right of membership.

So, since you must have some special rule at work, it would depend on just how the rights of this member became restricted, and what the exact language of the rule is.

Archived