The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Subordinate Units

Guest BRG

As a subordinate origination we operate by our own Constitution By-laws. However, we must also abide by the Constitution By-Laws of our parent origination. Recently we discovered the By-Laws of the parent origination forbid compensation for any officers, a practice that has gone on for many years. To correct this situation must a Point of Order be raised and voted on, or do we simply comply with existing By-Laws

A point of order is never voted, but the chair makes a ruling.  A subsequent ruling would be voted on by appealing  from the chair's ruling.

It's not unusual for an organization to reimburse its officers for their out of pocket expenses; copies, postage, etc.

But, it's up to your organization to interpret its own by rules.

As a subordinate origination we operate by our own Constitution By-laws. However, we must also abide by the Constitution By-Laws of our parent origination. Recently we discovered the By-Laws of the parent origination forbid compensation for any officers, a practice that has gone on for many years. To correct this situation must a Point of Order be raised and voted on, or do we simply comply with existing By-Laws

You must follow any applicable bylaws. As for how to fix what has already been done, that's for your organization to decide.

It's not unusual for an organization to reimburse its officers for their out of pocket expenses; copies, postage, etc.

But, it's up to your organization to interpret its own by rules.

And I wouldn't interpret reimbursement of expenses as "compensation", but I'm not a member of the organization, so what I think doesn't count.

Archived