The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of officera

Guest Mike

During an election, when it comes time to vote and there is a tie, is it traditional for the president to break the tie? Also in a twisted circumstance when said tie occurs in the election for an officer, and additional people show up to the meeting after the initial vote was cast, are they aloud to vote?

During an election, when it comes time to vote and there is a tie, is it traditional for the president to break the tie?

If the vote was by ballot the President should have voted along with everyone else. If the vote was by voice (which is not recommended in elections) the President can break the tie provided that he hadn't already voted (he can't vote twice on the same question).

Also in a twisted circumstance when said tie occurs in the election for an officer, and additional people show up to the meeting after the initial vote was cast, are they [allowed] to vote?

I thumbed around a few pages, kinda quickly, and couldn't find an explicit reference, but I believe that until the chair announces the result of the vote, the late-arrivers can still cast their votes. After that, they might need unanimous consent from the members present. If, due to the tie, another round of balloting is held, then they definitely get to cast their votes, assuming by "additional people" you mean members.

(Gary must have the night off)

I thumbed around a few pages, kinda quickly, and couldn't find an explicit reference, but I believe that until the chair announces the result of the vote, the late-arrivers can still cast their votes. After that, they might need unanimous consent from the members present. If, due to the tie, another round of balloting is held, then they definitely get to cast their votes, assuming by "additional people" you mean members.

I think it actually hinges on what form of voting they are using. If the vote is being held by ballot RONR p. 415 ll. 11-19 (reopening the polls after they have been closed) might conflict with p. 408 ll. 21-26 (what Mr. Foulkes was referring to). I guess the question for Mike is whether the vote was held by ballot and were the polls explicitly or implicitly closed?

I think it actually hinges on what form of voting they are using. If the vote is being held by ballot RONR p. 415 ll. 11-19 (reopening the polls after they have been closed) might conflict with p. 408 ll. 21-26 (what Mr. Foulkes was referring to). I guess the question for Mike is whether the vote was held by ballot and were the polls explicitly or implicitly closed?

I also had an eye on p. 421 ll. 20-24. Not likely a roll-call vote would be used for elections in general, but it address the right to vote of late-arrivers, as well as changing votes. Indeed a few more details might get a less "it depends" kind of answer.

Since you a tie vote no one was elected (unless you have some very weird rules) you should have held further rounds of balloting until someone is elected. When the next round of balloting is held tell the President to "vote now or forever hold his peace" (at least for that round of balloting). :D

Archived