The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Role of Parliamentarian

boilerhorn

I am a member of a small non-profit board that contains 7 board members and is elected from a group of 40-60 members.

One of our board positions carries the title of Parliamentarian, but the bylaws explicitly state that the Parliamentarian is a voting member of the board and serves as Parliamentarian during general meetings. The "Parliamentarian" position also serves in a liaison role between the board and general membership, external organizations, etc. on certain issues. Because the executive board is small, we are definitely less formal in board meetings, as is sufficient under RONR. That said, our bylaws allow for any of the membership to attend any board meeting.

What are some of the pitfalls of having the Parliamentarian as a voting member of the board? Would we be better served to rename that position and state the the position is also responsible for serving as Parliamentarian during general meetings?

Any comments are welcomed.

Would we be better served to rename that position and state the the position is also responsible for serving as Parliamentarian during general meetings?

You'd probably be better off eliminating the position of Parliamentarian altogether. If the chair knows his stuff (and he should) you're unlikely to need one.

What are some of the pitfalls of having the Parliamentarian as a voting member of the board?

The main pitfall I see is that the members might question the reliability of the Parliamentarian's advice if the subject is related to the powers or recommendations of the board, or if it's related to the other duties he performs.

Would we be better served to rename that position and state the the position is also responsible for serving as Parliamentarian during general meetings?

No, I don't think that would change anything.

Archived