The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can suggestions made during discussion be acted on without a vote?

james66

Here is my example. This is a young 4-H club with a new parliamentarian. I want to get them off to a good start.

A motion was made to have a Christmas party and to bowl. Motion was seconded.

Discussion to follow included identifying a date, alternate date, time and location along with a gift exchange.

The motion carried to have a Christmas party and to bowl. Following this I wanted it confirmed as to where this was taking place etc... and was informed by one of the adult leaders that it had been decided and that I needed to listen to the discussion. The leaders decided that what was suggested by 4 individuals during discussion of the main motion is the way it is going to be; is this acceptable? Should an amendment to the main motion have been made to include these details and then voted on by a majority of the membership?

Thanks for any comments.

In the order of your two concluding questions...

Acceptable? No.

Amendment? Yes.

You didn't ask, but.. Can you do anything about it? Sure: Enjoy the Xmas party.

Since no point of order was raised at the time that the phony "decision" was made, it is too late to raise one now. (Unless you have another meeting, before the party, and move to rescind or amend the adopted "party and bowl" motion.)

You didn't ask, but.. Can you do anything about it? Sure: Enjoy the Xmas party.

... Assuming you, or anyone else, can find it.

Since no point of order was raised at the time that the phony "decision" was made, it is too late to raise one now.

John, I don't quite see this. Who decided the where-and-when, and how? apparently not the presiding officer; these soi-disant "adult" "leaders"?

(And. Here's a hornet's nest or can of worms (or combine the two, with a nice marinara sauce). What authority do the bylaws actually give to these poorly-described "adult" "leaders"? -- to determine for the real members what has been done, and to superciliously tell the parliamentarian that he's a bad boy?)

Thank you for your comments.

All that can be done at this point is to enjoy the party. Everyone will eventually find out, as the leader that istructed to listen, will send out an email giving everyone the details.

Even though nothing can be done to change how this went down, it can be used as an example of what not to do in the future. The parliamentarian is given time at each meeting to present tips and examples to improve the clubs parliamentary practices. It can be used to learn from and maybe open the eyes of the leaders that they are not members of the voting body, but there to guide.

At the Xmas party present the presiding officer with a copy of RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link.

Are these mysterious (non-member?) "leaders" described in your bylaws? Have they any defined status in your association?

At the Xmas party present the presiding officer with a copy of RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link.

Are these mysterious (non-member?) "leaders" described in your bylaws? Have they any defined status in your association?

I do not know how the by-laws read. Something to check into.

Archived