The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Seconding a Motion

Guest Raymond S. Vena

And the rest of the sentence goes on to explain (by reference) what special actions are necessary when there are non-members on the committee.

All of which suggests to me that the proceeding portion of the sentence, whether dealing with appointed or elected members, assumes (from the context) that we are dealing with committees made up of assembly members, or at least two of them.

But it indeed is a tad ambiguous. Somewhere between the 1970 and 2011 editions of the book (too lazy to look and see where!) the "extra" phrase "or elected or appointed persons ... give weight..." was inserted right after "two assembly members". So I guess we will have to do some more research to resolve the ambiguity.

And the rest of the sentence goes on to explain (by reference) what special actions are necessary when there are non-members on the committee.

But the referenced pages only state that it can be done and how to do it. They say nothing about its effect on whether seconds are required.

It seems to me that the "extra phrase" was added to explicitly remove the ambiguity you think still exists.

No, the sentence which refers to the pages on appointing non-members to a committee is a separate sentence. Additionally, the fact that there are additional rules involved in appointing non-members to a committee has nothing to do with whether a second is required when a member makes a motion on behalf of the committee.

A second is only required for a motion to implement a committee recommendation if the committee consists of only one person or if the motion is not made by the reporting member (such as if the reporting member of the committee is not a member of the assembly). See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 507, lines 20-24 for information on the latter scenario.

Archived