The Official RONR Q & A Forums

local school board election of officers

janetdixon112

Its time for our 9 board member local school board to elect officers for the new year. There are 3 folks running for president. What happens if its a 3-3-3 split? What would be the next step according to Robert's Rules to resolve this issue? Also, if there is a 4-3-2 vote, what would be the proper way to eliminate a person from this split?

In both cases, according to RONR, you just keep on voting until a majority is attained by one candidate. (I know, I know, this can take a while -- time for some political-not-in-meeting horse trading I suppose.)

You do NOT drop the "low" candidate(s), unlss s/he "volunteers" (horse-trading?) to drop himself.

But your School Board may have special rules of its own - they would supersede RONR's rules if they are different. So check them carefully.

Regardless of the vote count, if no candidate receives a majority of votes cast, you vote (re-ballot) again. No one is dropped from the ballot unless your rules say so, although any nominee can withdraw from the election voluntarily. They might still receive write-in votes, but it might be more likely that if the 2-vote getter "drops out", the nine voters will eventually end up chosing one of the remaining two.

But John, see RONR (11th ed.), p. 441 which "clarifies the circumstances under which a nominee may be dropped from a succeeding ballot, and the effect of so doing."

"Dropped" from the ballot, sure, but NOT dropped from the election.

And, with a 3-3-3 (potential) split, it will be a close (2/3) vote to suspend the rules and drop one of the names (and how do you pick which one to drop?) from the ballot. I suppose the friends of two of the candidates could gang up on the third one's friends and push the third candidate from the ballot. But after being maltreated like that, I suspect that No. 3's friends will be in no mood to vote for #1 or #2 EVER AGAIN. So they write-in #3 and use up more paper.

But your School Board may have special rules of its own - they would supersede RONR's rules if they are different. So check them carefully.

Well, in this case, the candidate would not actually be "dropped from the election" (your words) unless the special rule was in the Bylaws (or an even higher-level rule). I think that's what Mr. Mervosh may have been getting at.

John, you are welcome to rebut anything I say, as is everyone else, but I respectfully object to you putting words in my mouth, or the original poster's mouth. No one said "dropped from the election", and certainly the cited passage and what I quoted doesn't say that..

Thankfully our original poster will look up what RONR says, which is not "dropped from the election".

And, with a 3-3-3 (potential) split, it will be a close (2/3) vote to suspend the rules and drop one of the names (and how do you pick which one to drop?) from the ballot. I suppose the friends of two of the candidates could gang up on the third one's friends and push the third candidate from the ballot. But after being maltreated like that, I suspect that No. 3's friends will be in no mood to vote for #1 or #2 EVER AGAIN. So they write-in #3 and use up more paper.

If you want the names of the lowest vote-getter(s) to be dropped from the list of nominees in second and subsequent rounds of balloting, the smart thing to do is move a suspension of the rules before any votes are taken.

But John, see RONR (11th ed.), p. 441 which "clarifies the circumstances under which a nominee may be dropped from a succeeding ballot, and the effect of so doing."

Yes, but even if they are dropped from the ballot, they are not "eliminated" from the election. In fact, they can still win.

Archived