The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Executive officers

Guest Tim Hills

When electing executive officers is there any provision that bars an existing Board Member from accepting the nomination for multiple positions (i.e. President and treasurer). Although i see the clear common sense conflict I am looking to determine if there is in fact a rule? Thank You

I do not have a copy with me. Do you mind if i ask for a summary of what happens if one is elected President and Treasurer? I hope you dont mind me asking

Short and sweet and incomplete recap -

If all of the offices are listed on one ballot, and a member is elected to more than one position, he must either choose which office he wants if he’s present at the meeting, or the assembly will choose one for him if he’s not present, and another ballot is taken for the other position. The assemlby could elect him to the other position on the subsequent ballot.

If you use a separate ballot for each office, he could be elected to both positions on the intial round of balloting since the assembly has knowingly decided to elect him to both unlike the first sentence of the first scenario.

The basic principle is no candidate is deemed elected to more than one office on a single ballot because members are not able to take into account the result for one office when voting for another office.

Since a ballot is by definition anonymous when originally cast, I'm not sure how it would ever become non-anonymous.

Fingerprints, perhaps?

If the ballot is properly designed, the ballot itself will always remain anonymous, but an assembly might try to adopt a motion which would force the disclosure of a members vote or view on the matter, and such a motion is out of order. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 413, lines 1-4.

Archived