The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescind, amend, or?

Guest b vanriette

Our sporting club is to vote, at the spring meeting, for the format of a competition to be held in the following year. Due to time constraints we voted to postpone the item and place it on the agenda for the fall meeting. At the fall meeting, while we had poor attendance, we did have a quorum; and we voted for two competitions leading to a championship. Now some of those members not at the fall meeting want to change the format at the upcoming spring meeting. My understanding is that they will want to remove the two competitions and change the championship. My question is what motions would be in order?

a. Rescind the resolution, and then place a new motion on the floor? Would the new motion be in order considering the vote was to be in the previous spring, but postponed to the fall meeting?

b. Amend the resolution, in looking at what has been adopted and what is to be proposed it would require striking out the portion about the two competitions, also striking out and adding to the portion addressing the championship. Can this be done and still be in order?

c. Entertain a new motion; the new motion would be to replace the entire approved format with the following format. As in a. above, given postponement to la later date, would the motion be in order?

Thank you in advance for your help.

a. Rescind the resolution, and then place a new motion on the floor? Would the new motion be in order considering the vote was to be in the previous spring, but postponed to the fall meeting?

Yes, this would be in order. The motion to rescind would require a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. The new motion would require a majority vote.

b. Amend the resolution, in looking at what has been adopted and what is to be proposed it would require striking out the portion about the two competitions, also striking out and adding to the portion addressing the championship. Can this be done and still be in order?

Yes, this would be in order. It would a require a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice.

c. Entertain a new motion; the new motion would be to replace the entire approved format with the following format. As in a. above, given postponement to la later date, would the motion be in order?

Yes, this would be in order, and this would actually be a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted, as with option B. It would a require a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. This is probably the best way to go, since it would be the simplest.

As for the issue of the rule which requires the assembly to determine the competition format at the spring meeting, I do not think that such a rule would prevent the assembly from later changing its mind, at least so far as RONR is concerned. Your society will need to interpret its Bylaws for itself, of course.

Our sporting club is to vote, at the spring meeting, for the format of a competition to be held in the following year. Due to time constraints we voted to postpone the item and place it on the agenda for the fall meeting.

Whether or not an item can be postponed from the spring meeting to the fall meeting will depend on the amount of time that intervenes and whether or not any regular meetings intervene. In any event, this will not affect what was adopted at the fall meeting, but see RONR (11th ed.), p. 183, ll. 4-17 for a few details on postponing.

Eh? Where'd Guest_b vanriette mention this rule?

c.t. 1

I understood the original poster's statement that "Our sporting club is to vote, at the spring meeting, for the format of a competition to be held in the following year." to mean that the organization has some rule requiring that the society determine the competition format at the spring meeting, although on closer examination I agree that this is not entirely clear. If I am mistaken on this point, then there would be even less reason to question whether the motion could be rescinded or amended.

In any event, this will not affect what was adopted at the fall meeting, but see RONR (11th ed.), p. 183, ll. 4-17 for a few details on postponing.

Good catch... although I would add that it also would not affect whether the motion adopted at the fall meeting may be rescinded or amended.

Archived