The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Change in Slate of Officers

Guest Faith

In November we approved a slate of officers for 2013 to be voted on at our December general meeting this Friday. The only person interested in the position of President has notified me that he will not be able to be President next year. At this point am I able to take nominations for President from the floor at our general meeting, then immedietely vote on the new slate?

We are a non profit organizaiton.

It's not clear who the "we" is who approved the slate of officers in November. If this refers to a nominating committee, then the committee could try to meet again before Friday to nominate another candidate. If this is not possible, then you should call for nominations from the floor prior to holding the election.

If the "we" was the assembly itself, then I think a motion would be needed to re-open nominations from the floor.

And, in any event, unless your bylaws specifically prohibit write-in votes, you should hold the election anyway even if you get no additional nominations, and remind the members that they may write in a choice for president.

At this point am I able to take nominations for President from the floor at our general meeting

Not only are you able to, you must take nominations from the floor. For all offices.

. . . then immediately vote on the new slate?

You don't vote on a "slate". There is no "slate". You vote for individual candidates for individual offices and you are free to vote for some or none or all of the offices.

Archived