The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot Voting

Guest Capt. Ray

I recently attended a meeting of the yacht club and ballots were passed out with room for "printed Name" and "signatures". I had never seen this before and as no one else raised a question, I did not speak up. First question; Is this appropriate?

Next Question; The ballots were collected and and counted and an announcement made as to the outcome. Many persons, including myself left the room since the annoucement was made. Next day I discovered that several persons "changed thier minds (votes) after the fact and it reversed the outcome. I was under the impression that once ballots were cast and collected, the polls were "closed". Also, once announcements made as to the outcome, that precluded a person or persons from changing their votes that had already been cast?

I recently attended a meeting of the yacht club and ballots were passed out with room for "printed Name" and "signatures". I had never seen this before and as no one else raised a question, I did not speak up. First question; Is this appropriate?

Probably not. You should have said something.

A vote by ballot is, by definition, secret and there should be absolutely no way of telling whose ballot is whose simply by examining it. However since no point of order was raised at the time, it could be argued that the voters voluntarily waived their right to secrecy.

Note that there is such a thing as a "signed ballot" but this is essentially a roll-call vote and is unlikely to be what took place in your case. If your bylaws require a ballot vote (or the assembly ordered a ballot vote), it's a secret vote.

As for changing votes, there is a small window of opportunity where it's possible. Depending on the timing of the events immediately after voting had concluded and the results announcement was made by the chair, and the procedure by which the votes were changed, it could be that those votes were changed. Not sure, since you (among others) left the meeting room, that you can even know what actually happened and if it was parliamentarily proper. Next time, stay until adjournment to be sure.

Pages 315-317 outline the motion to reconsider - which is essentially what happened based on the information you provided. As many people left after the announcement was made, someone could have made the motion and a different outcomed resulted.

I seriously doubt that's what happened.

I don't - that's exactly what Captain Ray stated - after a number of members left other members changed their minds and 'changed' the decision.

Well, that's not exactly what he said. Several persons changed their votes and "it" (i.e. the change of votes after the fact) reversed the outcome. Beyond that, I doubt that an assembly that required signatures on ballots is going to bother with the nuances of a motion to reconsider. But if you're right I'll buy the next round.

Our current board of directors have not allowed any votes from the floor during meetings. All votes to are mail votes and secret balot. In 4 years i have never been or anyone else been allowed to vote from the floor. Is this legal? Condo assn., Also if i challange from the floor the directors decision are we allowd to vote?

Is this legal? Condo assn., Also if i challenge from the floor the directors decision are we allowed to vote?

Please re-post your questions as a new topic (this forum works best that way). And note that we can't answer legal questions; those are best addressed to an attorney.

I don't - that's exactly what Captain Ray stated - after a number of members left other members changed their minds and 'changed' the decision.

Since a boat load of ballot votes are concerned with election to office, I will mention that after an election has become final it is too late to reconsider the vote.

However, on many motions an assembly has the right to "change its mind" within the same meeting by a majority vote. The details of the making of the motion to Reconsider in the same meeting are mostly in place to prevent the wasting of the assembly's time. If another vote was taken, it could have been a sloppy form of the motion to Reconsider.

However still, if this is a matter of certain members changing their votes without the actual taking of another vote, see RONR (11th ed.), p. 408, ll. 21-26.

Archived