The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair will not allow motion to be made

Guest Steve

A member, having shared their intent to make a motion at the next meeting which the Chair feels is too controversial or is not personally agreeable to, decides to not allow the member to make a motion by not opening the floor to New Business. Does RONR mandate that New Business be a standing agenda item on all convened board meetings? My position (Secretary) has been that the Chair cannot stop a member from making a motion, but can immediately have another boardmember raise an Objection to Consideration before discussion commences. I think from another thread, I understand that the Chair cannot do that himself while presiding (make or second motions). Am I correct, or is there a way to prevent a member from making a motion they have communicated in advance the intention of so doing?

A member, having shared their intent to make a motion at the next meeting which the Chair feels is too controversial or is not personally agreeable to, decides to not allow the member to make a motion by not opening the floor to New Business. Does RONR mandate that New Business be a standing agenda item on all convened board meetings? My position (Secretary) has been that the Chair cannot stop a member from making a motion, but can immediately have another boardmember raise an Objection to Consideration before discussion commences. I think from another thread, I understand that the Chair cannot do that himself while presiding (make or second motions). Am I correct, or is there a way to prevent a member from making a motion they have communicated in advance the intention of so doing?

The chair can raise an objection to the consideration of a question, which will require a two-thirds vote against consideration to prevent the motion from being considered. Without the required vote, the chair will have to place the motion before the assembly, unless he is obliged to rule it out of order, in which case he shouldn't have objected to it in the first place.

If the Board meets within quarterly time intervals and has not adopted a special order of business, or is not following one the society adopted for their use, they are bound by the Standard Order of Business. RONR (11th ed.), p. 353 ll. 6-22. Part of the Standard Order of Business is “New Business” and the chair may not prevent members from making legitimate motions under this heading. RONR (11th ed.), p. 360, ll. 19-23.

The chair can raise an objection to the consideration of the question (RONR (11th ed.), p. 268, ll. 23-25), so I’m not sure what you thought you read in another thread.

Archived