The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committee of the whole / internet forum

Guest HalfBrick

I am trying to set up a forum, like this one, for my union. It seemed that giving the forum the title of "Committee of the Whole" was appropriate because it allows all members to have a voice on any issue referred to the committee, and retains the authority of the Presiding offficer to appoint a chair/co-chair as forum moderator(a safeguard against favoritism). However, our "parliamentarian" suggested that would take away our ability to move to go into a CotW. My feeling is that during a meeting, it would be more suitable to move to consider informally, and if something needs greater discussion, then to refer it to the committee. What are your thoughts?

I am trying to set up a forum, like this one, for my union. It seemed that giving the forum the title of "Committee of the Whole" was appropriate because it allows all members to have a voice on any issue referred to the committee, and retains the authority of the Presiding offficer to appoint a chair/co-chair as forum moderator(a safeguard against favoritism). However, our "parliamentarian" suggested that would take away our ability to move to go into a CotW. My feeling is that during a meeting, it would be more suitable to move to consider informally, and if something needs greater discussion, then to refer it to the committee. What are your thoughts?

The name of the forum would not have any bearing on the rules that apply to its use. However, Committee of the Whole would not be a correct term to describe such a forum or any work of a regular committee, from a parliamentary perspective.

Meeting by electronic means would have to be authorized in the bylaws to be valid.

However, our "parliamentarian" suggested that would take away our ability to move to go into a CotW. My feeling is that during a meeting, it would be more suitable to move to consider informally, and if something needs greater discussion, then to refer it to the committee. What are your thoughts?

As much as one tends to panic at the thought of not being able to go into a Committee of the Whole, I assure you that the naming of an Internet forum will not impair your assembly's ability to do so.

Thanks, that was what I was concerned about. I want it to retain the authority of the presiding officer, but be casual(since it's something we can contribute to on our own time). So, I will need a motion to authorize funds for the email account and security certificate, and a resolution to authorize it in the by laws, right?

Thanks, that was what I was concerned about. I want it to retain the authority of the presiding officer, but be casual(since it's something we can contribute to on our own time). So, I will need a motion to authorize funds for the email account and security certificate, and a resolution to authorize it in the by laws, right?

What you're describing may be beneficial to your organization, but it is NOT a committee meeting or an assembly meeting. Do you envision a certain body (a committee, board, or general assembly) making decisions through that forum?

The intent is to create a mechanism for the Body(general assembly) to discuss/draft/make recommendations to be put into motions at our monthly general meetings. Also it will serve as a brainstorming area, and provide access to documents relating to the work of other committees, and documents such as user group contracts, and the Const. & Bylaws. By making it a committee, it provides us the ability to refer matters to the forum, and report from it at the monthly general meetings, and as I previously stated, gives the President the authority to appoint the chairperson(s). Perhaps committee isn't the appropriate way of addressing the forum, but i'm at a loss for how else to make it officially recognised...

The intent is to create a mechanism for the Body(general assembly) to discuss/draft/make recommendations to be put into motions at our monthly general meetings. Also it will serve as a brainstorming area, and provide access to documents relating to the work of other committees, and documents such as user group contracts, and the Const. & Bylaws. By making it a committee, it provides us the ability to refer matters to the forum, and report from it at the monthly general meetings, and as I previously stated, gives the President the authority to appoint the chairperson(s). Perhaps committee isn't the appropriate way of addressing the forum, but i'm at a loss for how else to make it officially recognised...

What you're describing could indeed be beneficial, but it should not be a committee. You can adopt a standing rule that the forum shall be moderated by an individual to be appointed by the president.

As far as making motions on behalf of the forum, I don't see any need for that. It's simply a good place to hash out ideas, and any member can make the particular motion during the meeting, in accordance with what was agreed to in the forum discussions. From there, the motion can be amended and debated in the meeting.

Archived