The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TMCW

Correct Minutes

Guest TMCW

What is the approprate verbage to record in the minutes when the chair has to temporarily leave the meeting due to a conflict in interest and turns the meeting over to a stand-in?

Though RONR doesn't specifically say it I believe that p. 468 ll. 33-35 might support making a note that the Chair left the chair and noting who took his place. But I am kind of rocky on that so stay tuned for other thoughts.

Guest Edgar

Though RONR doesn't specifically say it I believe that p. 468 ll. 33-35 might support making a note that the Chair left the chair and noting who took his place.

I think that's pretty specific.

I would also note that in the event the chair feels compelled to step down, there's no need for him to leave the room. And the chair doesn't get to pick his "stand-in". The vice-chair, if there is one present, would preside. Otherwise the assembly would choose a chair pro tem.

992bKh

Though RONR doesn't specifically say it I believe that p. 468 ll. 33-35 might support making a note that the Chair left the chair and noting who took his place.

I think that's pretty specific.

Though that passage appears to be more for the first paragraph of the minutes indicating who was presiding at the start of the meeting (or after the election for a Chair pro tem). I don't see a problem making a notation if the chair gets turned over once or twice but the minutes could get a bit clunky if a notation is made each of the 7-8 times the Chair runs to the loo (and then retakes the chair).

Guest Edgar

. . . the minutes could get a bit clunky if a notation is made each of the 7-8 times the Chair runs to the loo (and then retakes the chair).

Well, I was going to say that the minutes need not record each and every brief recess though I see a recess can be ordered by adopting a motion (which requires a second) so I wonder if that motion needs to be recorded. In any event, if, during the chairs absence someone else assumes the chair, I think it's pretty clear that that fact should be recorded, clunky or not.

What is the approprate verbage to record in the minutes when the chair has to temporarily leave the meeting due to a conflict in interest and turns the meeting over to a stand-in?

There is no specific wording mentioned in RONR. I'd keep it simple and to the point - perhaps something along the lines of "The chairman relinquished the chair to Mr. X until the resolution pertaining to XXX was disposed of."

And the chair doesn't get to pick his "stand-in". The vice-chair, if there is one present, would preside. Otherwise the assembly would choose a chair pro tem.

Actually, if the Vice Chair is not present, the chair may appoint a Chairman Pro Tempore, subject to the approval of the assembly. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 452, line 25 - pg. 453, line 2... although I grant that in the scenario presented, the assembly might not be inclined to approve the chair's suggestion.

Though that passage appears to be more for the first paragraph of the minutes indicating who was presiding at the start of the meeting (or after the election for a Chair pro tem). I don't see a problem making a notation if the chair gets turned over once or twice but the minutes could get a bit clunky if a notation is made each of the 7-8 times the Chair runs to the loo (and then retakes the chair).

Well, if the chair's replacement made a ruling on a Point of Order while he was in the loo, then I think the value of the notation would well outweigh the clunkiness. As a general rule, I think it is best to record temporary changes in the chairmanship, but certainly this should be tempered by common sense.

Well, I was going to say that the minutes need not record each and every brief recess though I see a recess can be ordered by adopting a motion (which requires a second) so I wonder if that motion needs to be recorded.

If the motion to Recess is made as an incidental main motion, the motion should always be recorded in full, along with the name of the motion maker, the disposition of the motion (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 469, lines 13-25). If the motion to Recess is made as a privileged motion (a type of secondary motion), then the motion would only be recorded if it was adopted and only if necessary for completeness or clarity, and in this case the minutes would only allude to the adoption of the motion, saying "The assembly recessed from 4:15 to 4:30," or something of that nature (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 470, lines 1-10).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this