The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest SRand

motions to amend or rescind

Guest SRand

We will have before us at the next meeting both a motion to rescind and a motion to amend, on the same previous decision. The motion to amend is in the board packet, while the motion to rescind has only been circulated by email. I understand that the motion to amend can pass with a simple majority while the motion to rescind will require a 2/3 majority. But does one motion take precedence over the other?

Your understanding is incorrect. The same voting requirement for Rescind also applies to the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

The precedence would simply be whichever one was moved first. Of course, if the motion to rescind is made and passed, there is nothing left to amend, so the ASPA motion would no longer make sense.

No. If the member making the motion to amend, for which previous notice was given, is recognized first and makes his motion, the motion will require a majority vote, however, if an amendment is proposed to rescind instead, and that amendment is adopted, in my view that would exceed the notice given and the final vote would require a 2/3 vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership. RONR (11th ed.), p.306, ll. 11-18

If the member making a motion to rescind is recognized first, an amendment can be made to change the form to amending something previously adopted, and if the primary amendment is adopted, the final vote will take a majority vote since notice was given.

Either way, it seems a motion to rescind will take a a 2/3 vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership to adopt since no notice was given of the motion to rescind.

See the Form and Example on p. 309, line 26ff

Which means I think I disagree with Gary, but I'm not sure.

Edited by George Mervosh

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.