The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee Members

Guest Henderson

Our bylaws stipulate we must elect an uneven number of members to serve on the nominating committee (7 - one from each member council). It also stipulates that there be "0" alternates. We have a situation where, at the first official meeting of the committee, one member was unable to attend. 1) It is my understanding that, once they miss an official meeting, they are no longer a member of that committee and may not attend further meetings, nor vote on the slate to be presented. That has happened, and the committee is now left with an uneven number. 2) It has been suggested by one of the remaining committee members that the chair of the committee should abstain from voting, thereby returning them to an uneven number. I have looked in RONR and, so far, have not found either of these items addressed - obviously, overlooking something. Please comment on the validity, or lack of, in the above two statements; in addition, please cite correct procedure.

Since RONR has no requirements for uneven numbers, even numbers, attendance requirements, or loss of voting rights in respect thereof, it is not likely that any of these would have been found. Such rules would fall into the category of "irredeemably silly" rules, in my personal view.

So, the good news is that you have not actually overlooked anything, since it wasn't there to begin with.

The bad news is that the correct procedures are therefore dictated by your own rules, which, if your description is accurate, would seem pretty unworkable. But they are your rules nonetheless.

Our bylaws stipulate we must elect an uneven number of members to serve on the nominating committee (7 - one from each member council). It also stipulates that there be "0" alternates. We have a situation where, at the first official meeting of the committee, one member was unable to attend. 1) It is my understanding that, once they miss an official meeting, they are no longer a member of that committee and may not attend further meetings, nor vote on the slate to be presented. That has happened, and the committee is now left with an uneven number. 2) It has been suggested by one of the remaining committee members that the chair of the committee should abstain from voting, thereby returning them to an uneven number. I have looked in RONR and, so far, have not found either of these items addressed - obviously, overlooking something. Please comment on the validity, or lack of, in the above two statements; in addition, please cite correct procedure.

Both of the statements lack validity. The correct procedure is that members of an assembly have the right to vote, and the chair of a committee should feel free to vote. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 3, lines 1-9; pg. 500, lines 9-18, pg. 488, lines 18-20.

Archived