The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee as a Whole

Guest Susan

Our 8 member board has chosen not to name small audit and investement committees, but rather to have all members "serve" on those committees. When the auditors present their report to the board, can it be done as a regular meeting agenda item rather than as a committee or does the board need to reconvene itself as a committee prior to hearing the report?

"Committee of the Whole" is a rather specialized parliamentary device (p. 529 ff.) that you most likely have no need to bother with.

And I believe it's short for . . .

Committee of the Whole Enchilada, or

Committee of the Whole Megillah, or

Committee of the Whole Nine Yards.

Committee of the Whole House was the origin (UK Parliament). I have never seen it used, and honestly can't imagine any use for it in ordinary societies.

My local NAP unit uses the third form of Committee of the Whole quite often. For example, recently, while receiving our annual audit committee report, our smallish sized assembly committed a recommendation contained in the report to Committee of the Whole's third form, which is Informal Consideration. By adopting the commitment, we temporarily relaxed the assembly's limits on debate.

As one of our unit's obectives is to teach parliamentary procedure, it doesn't facilitate that objective by adopting small assembly rules.

My local NAP unit uses the third form of Committee of the Whole quite often. For example, recently, while receiving our annual audit committee report, our smallish sized assembly committed a recommendation contained in the report to Committee of the Whole's third form, which is Informal Consideration. By adopting the commitment, we temporarily relaxed the assembly's limits on debate.

As one of our unit's obectives is to teach parliamentary procedure, it doesn't facilitate that objective by adopting small assembly rules.

Yes, I too have used and seen used the third form quite often as well. I was thinking of the first form when I made my statement, although in my experience I also have never seen the second form either (quasi-committee of the whole).

Back to Guest_Susan....

I think, as Dr Stackpole said, this is a non-issue. Even if your board had appointed the committees in the ordinary way, the only member of any committee who needs to be at the meeting of the body that the committee reports to, is the reporting member of the committee.

Archived