The Official RONR Q & A Forums

meetings by computer calls (skpe or facetime)?

Guest Linda Cook

Can a member(s) of an organization join a meeting, voice opinions, vote, etc thru a computer or by a open phone call?

I'd say the short answer is no.

The long answer: Whether the member can "attend" the meeting in this fashion is up to the assembly. A majority vote would be sufficient to permit the member to speak while no question is pending, but the assembly would need to Suspend the Rules (2/3 vote) to permit the member to speak in debate. The members cannot vote unless this is permitted by the Bylaws or required by applicable law.

I'd say the short answer is no.

The long answer: Whether the member can "attend" the meeting in this fashion is up to the assembly. A majority vote would be sufficient to permit the member to speak while no question is pending, but the assembly would need to Suspend the Rules (2/3 vote) to permit the member to speak in debate. The members cannot vote unless this is permitted by the Bylaws or required by applicable law.

But it goes without saying (although I'm saying it anyway) that a quorum must be present in the room before the non-present members may be allowed to join in. They cannot be used to establish a quorum, unless the bylaws or applicable laws allow (which I'm guessing neither do or we wouldn't be reading this question).

Archived