The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adding Motions to Advance Agenda if Mover Will be Absent

cpnet

I read the post at:

http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/15133-can-a-voting-membera-motions-by-letter-if-he-is-not-going-to-present-at-the-meeting/page__p__73401__hl__+motion%20+absent__fromsearch__1#entry73401

that someone has to be present to move a motion.

Our organization publishes an Agenda in advance of our meetings. My assumption is that if someone wants their motion on the advance Agenda, they need to let the Chair know that they will be present to put forward the motion?

If such a motion makes it onto the Agenda, but the mover doesn't end up showing up, should the Chair remove this item from the Agenda prior to the meeting's start, or should it be left on the Agenda and then wait for the assembly to vote to remove it from the Agenda if they wish to do so? (And/or should the assembly wait until it reaches that motion in the Agenda and proceed according to whether or not anyone moves the motion at that point in time)?

. . . should the assembly wait until it reaches that motion in the Agenda and proceed according to whether or not anyone moves the motion at that point in time?

Yes.

Although the agenda is just a proposal until it's formally adopted at the start of the meeting (see FAQ #14) so the item could be removed at that point.

(And I think it's better to say that someone makes a motion rather than that someone moves a motion.)

Archived