The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Validity of a vote with no debate

Guest remoandiris

A club I belong to just had their annual meeting. The chair made a motion and a second came from the audience. A member wanted to amend the motion, but the chair incorrectly stated no changes could be made since the motion was seconded. The question was called and voted on.

Are the voting results valid since the chair violated RONR and prevented debate?

A club I belong to just had their annual meeting. The chair made a motion and a second came from the audience. A member wanted to amend the motion, but the chair incorrectly stated no changes could be made since the motion was seconded. The question was called and voted on.

Just to be sure, although the results stand (since no one apparently raised any objection), it is in spite of how this was mishandled from the beginning. Most likely, the chair should not be making motions. Not sure who made up the "audience", but if it wasn't a member of the club who offered the second, then the motion most likely wasn't seconded. The chair's "ruling" that no amendments were in order because the motion had been seconded is foolishness, with no support from RONR for the reason given, with the exception that there are certain motions which are not amendable (although I'm guessing this wasn't one of those). Again, most motions are debatable (though some aren't) so members should have had that opportunity. And I can only guess how he mishandled the voting, but........ did the motion pass or fail?

Archived