The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non-profits dropping checking accounts down?

Guest Loretta

I'm in a non-profit organization. Some members think as a non-profit, that we need to drop our checking account balance down to $200 every year. Is this true?

This is not a parliamentary issue. You might talk to a lawyer, your banker, or check applicable laws for non-profits in your state. You might also ask these members where they got this idea from, and perhaps they could provide some support for it themselves.

A suggestion often found on this board is, when something is being claimed - "you have to drop the checking account balance below $200!" "the chairperson can table a motion unilaterally" - is to respond with "ok - please show me where it says that".

I will also bet $200 that person, or persons, claiming this, will not be able to find an actual source for this. (you could also ask if you can just transfer the money to a savings account...)

I'm in a non-profit organization. Some members think as a non-profit, that we need to drop our checking account balance down to $200 every year. Is this true?

I can provide this service; just send me a check for whatever your balance is, minus $200. I'm available annually for the foreseeable future. ;)

Archived