The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When speaking at an Annual meeting, in a open meeting can a member speaking mention the boards names or postions?

Guest Cal Knudsen

I am trying to read through some 700 pages of Roberts Rules 11th edition and I cannot find my answer. If I am speaking at our annnual meeting, when the chairman opens up the meeting for members to speak, during my speech can I mention the boards members names? If not can I mnetion them by their positons? Or do simply refer to them as a board member?

Also does the same apply to an employee of the association, such as a maintenace man?

I am trying to read through some 700 pages of Roberts Rules 11th edition and I cannot find my answer. If I am speaking at our annnual meeting, when the chairman opens up the meeting for members to speak, during my speech can I mention the boards members names? If not can I mnetion them by their positons? Or do simply refer to them as a board member?

Also does the same apply to an employee of the association, such as a maintenace man?

It may be best to try to avoid specifying anyone by name, especially depending on your context. Better to say "the Treasurer", "the chief of maintenance", or whatever else you can use besides "Mrs. Jones" or (worse yet) "Betty Lou." When you're down to it though, "Mr. Smith" (or Mr. Albert Smith, if more than one Smith) might be the best you can do.

So far as RONR is concerned, you should avoid the use of members' names as much as possible - in other words, only do it if it's the only way to clarify who you're referring to. If you must use a member's name, refer to them by their title and last name. It is permissible to refer to their specific positions.

If the employee is a member, yes. If the employee is not a member, then it technically doesn't apply... although for the sake of consistency and respect, it's probably best to follow the same rules for non-members.

I'd also pay close attention to how other people speak in debate, as the level of formality in debate varies widely from organization to organization. Some assemblies like the level of formality Edgar suggests, but in other assemblies it might get you odd stares.

Try page 23, line 32 through page 24, line 7.

Also, you mentioned, "when the chair opens up the meeting for members to speak." Are you referring to something other than the parliamentary transaction of business?

Try page 23, line 32 through page 24, line 7.

Also, you mentioned, "when the chair opens up the meeting for members to speak." Are you referring to something other than the parliamentary transaction of business?

This is the associations annual meeting. New candidates are elected and then selected for positions, based on the boards vote. They open up the meeting to the floor for members to speak.

This is the associations annual meeting. New candidates are elected and then selected for positions, based on the boards vote. They open up the meeting to the floor for members to speak.

Well, the board can't do anything at a meeting of the association. The board can only act, as a board, at a meeting of the board. So what you'd need to do is recess the association meeting while the board convenes a board meeting, then call the association meeting back to order. Or adjourn the association meeting and then the general members could be guests at the board's meeting.

Yeah, that's a problem. The board can't vote on things during the annual meeting, because the board is not in session during the annual meeting, and the board has no power to act except at its own regular or properly called meetings,at which a quorum (of the board) is present.

Archived