The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentary Rules for Not-for-Profits

Guest Bjadane

I am on the Board of a New York State Not-for Profit. The By-Laws do not specify that the corporation must use any form of Parliamentary authority. The organization is experiencing problems with disruptions, vulgarity and personal attacks. Is there an overriding state requirement that a not for profit corporation can impose parliamentary procedures of some kind?

The organization is experiencing problems with disruptions, vulgarity and personal attacks.

RONR can't force people to behave themselves. What you need is an effective presiding officer who has the support of a majority of the members. A copy of RONR In Brief will get you on the right track.

Further, your not-for-profit status is most likely an IRS designation and should have absolutely no effect on your adoption of RONR as your parliamentary authority. The same goes for your status as a New York State corporation. So check with an attorney, as advised, but don't expect to be told you can't adopt RONR.

I am on the Board of a New York State Not-for Profit. The By-Laws do not specify that the corporation must use any form of Parliamentary authority. The organization is experiencing problems with disruptions, vulgarity and personal attacks. Is there an overriding state requirement that a not for profit corporation can impose parliamentary procedures of some kind?

Questions about the laws of New York State are beyond the scope of this forum and should be addressed to a lawyer.

I will say, however, that so far as the common parliamentary law is concerned, the organization is free to adopt a parliamentary authority, and you can look at this page for more information on how to adopt RONR, which would be my recommendation. Additionally, a deliberative assembly that has not adopted any parliamentary authority is understood to follow the common parliamentary law, and in such circumstances a recognized parliamentary authority (such as RONR) can be cited as persuasive.

Archived