The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescind vs Reconsider

Guest Sarah Smithson

How would you explain the difference between rescind and reconisder? With a general understanding, how would you debate on each? I don't see the difference in the way you would debate reconsider/rescind, particularly in an FFA demo. Is it debated the same way? An example would be awesome, but any clarification is appreciated. Thanks!

It seems to me that, although it is possible for both motions to produce the same result (rescinding of the previously adopted motion), that's not the only possibility with reconsider. The latter motion, if adopted (and be sure to take note of the restrictions for making the motion to reconsider given on pp. 315-316 of RONR, 11th ed.), returns the original motion to the state it was in just prior to the vote on it. Thus, in addition to being voted down the second time, it could also be amended to survive in a different form, be referred to a committee, or postponed, among other things.

As far as debating the two motions, the motion to reconsider may or may not be debatable depending on whether the motion to be reconsidered is or is not debatable. Otherwise the nature of the debate would seem to depend on what is to be done on the original motion. For both reconsider and rescind, the merits of the original motion may be debated.

And I'm afraid I have no idea what an FFA demo refers to.

Archived