The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting question

Guest Lynn B

Last meeting community projects were proposed and debated. Vote to takeoff t next meeting. In meantime learned these projects were not vetted through. Committee that it should haverior to going to further. Also, more information has come to about one of therojects nd it's lack of feasibility. Should I call. Point do order or should I amend the main motion by striking out that particular project in the verge. Should I refer it back to the committee skipped.

Also, after debate is the question immediately suppose to be called. It wasn't.

Any advice appreciated.

If, as you say, consideration of all the proposed projects was postponed (is that what you mean by "takeoff to next meeting"?), that is the end of it for now.

By the next meeting, perhaps, folks will have researched the projects some more. The projects will come up for discussion automatically, as "General Orders". At that point you can debate against ones you don't like, move to amend by striking one (or more) projects, and vote accordingly. No need for a point of order -- I don't see that any rule was violated.

Wowzers. Late night typing isn't worth a darn.

The debate/discussion was last meeting. Vote this meeting. They didn't call the question.

Bylaws weren't followed. One council was skipped to approve the projects before it went to the board, then to members.

I was wondering best way to procede. One projects wasn't properly researched and some new items have come up which will make it difficult to be successful in its mission

Bylaws weren't followed. One council was skipped to approve the projects before it went to the board, then to members.

I was wondering best way to procede. One projects wasn't properly researched and some new items have come up which will make it difficult to be successful in its mission

If the bylaws indeed weren't followed, then you can raise a Point of Order objecting and pointing out that the motion can't be voted on since the procedure in the bylaws was not followed. Have a friend on hand if you expect the chair to rule adversely, as then you can Appeal the ruling with your friend's second. At that point, it will go to a majority vote, and you have the opportunity to debate the appeal to explain to the other members why your side should be supported.

Archived