The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How Many Votes?

Guest Charlcie

Recently, an organization I belong to was called upon to vote on a replacement for a resigning director of the board. In this particular organization, there are a number of affiliated clubs - each having the option of electing or appointing a club representative who can attend board meetings and vote on any issues at hand.

After our most recent election, one of the newly elected directors also happens to be a representative of an affiliated club. Our president suggested that this individual could actually vote TWICE on issues brought before the Board - once as a director, and once as an affiliated club representative. I heartily disagree.

I say that the newly elected director must relinquish their position as club representative and have that club elect or appoint a new representative. The director should have ONE vote only on issues brought before the Board. I could not, however, find a specific reference to this issue in RRO.

What say you?

"It is a fundamental principal of parliamentary law that each person who is a member of a deliberative assembly is entitled to one -- and only one -- vote on a question. This is true even if a person is elected to more than one position, each of which would entitle the holder to a vote." - RONR (11th ed.), p. 407, ll. 1-6.

Of course, your bylaws may allow members who hold multiple positions multiple votes - but that would need to be specifically stated in your bylaws.

Recently, an organization I belong to was called upon to vote on a replacement for a resigning director of the board. In this particular organization, there are a number of affiliated clubs - each having the option of electing or appointing a club representative who can attend board meetings and vote on any issues at hand.

After our most recent election, one of the newly elected directors also happens to be a representative of an affiliated club. Our president suggested that this individual could actually vote TWICE on issues brought before the Board - once as a director, and once as an affiliated club representative. I heartily disagree.

I say that the newly elected director must relinquish their position as club representative and have that club elect or appoint a new representative. The director should have ONE vote only on issues brought before the Board. I could not, however, find a specific reference to this issue in RRO.

What say you?

It is permissible for the member to serve as club representative and as director unless your rules provide otherwise, however, you are correct that he only has one vote.

Archived