The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is email discussion an electronic meeting?

George G.

My association has members all over the world, therefore the board members come from these areas. We meet in person 4 times a year for doing the business of the association, but make some decisions via email. A new person in the mix is telling us that this is illegal.

An example of a decision made via email was to have a parliamentarian help us!!! (we have authority to spend XX$ without board approval)

My questions are: Is email discussion with these types of decisions an electronic meeting? Is this illegal? Wouldn't a phone call be the same thing?

Thank you.

My association has members all over the world, therefore the board members come from these areas. We meet in person 4 times a year for doing the business of the association, but make some decisions via email. A new person in the mix is telling us that this is illegal.

An example of a decision made via email was to have a parliamentarian help us!!! (we have authority to spend XX$ without board approval)

My questions are: Is email discussion with these types of decisions an electronic meeting? Is this illegal? Wouldn't a phone call be the same thing?

The board may not conduct its business by e-mail or by phone unless authorized by the Bylaws or required by applicable law. They are not the same thing. A teleconference is considered to be an electronic meeting under RONR since it permits simultaneous aural communication between all members. E-mail does not, and so it is not an electronic meeting in the sense the term is used in RONR.

Archived