The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendment of a motion to censure into one to commend

Guest Jim

I appreciate that RONR contends such an amendment to be in order because it meets criteria of germaneness (p. 137 ll 20-29), however,

• if a motion to censure is intended to be raised not for violations of decorum, but as a main motion for actions of the individual, wouldn't there be a requirement for prior notice, in order that
    • the member can know to be present to defend their actions, and
    • so that any who have an interest in the consideration of the censure can choose whether or not to attend

and

• where prior notice is a requirement for a motion to be able to be passed, would it not exceed the scope of notice for the assembly to move amendment to 'commend' in place of to 'censure'

??

I appreciate that RONR contends such an amendment to be in order because it meets criteria of germaneness (p. 137 ll 20-29), however,

• if a motion to censure is intended to be raised not for violations of decorum, but as a main motion for actions of the individual, wouldn't there be a requirement for prior notice, in order that
    • the member can know to be present to defend their actions, and
    • so that any who have an interest in the consideration of the censure can choose whether or not to attend

and

• where prior notice is a requirement for a motion to be able to be passed, would it not exceed the scope of notice for the assembly to move amendment to 'commend' in place of to 'censure'

When you don't use the formal disciplinary procedures and instead use a main motion to censure, there is no right to defense and no requirement for notice.

When you don't use the formal disciplinary procedures and instead use a main motion to censure, there is no right to defense and no requirement for notice.

So if I understand correctly, the member who originated comments intended, under such a main motion, to come "under censure" is not to construe this business as "pursuit of discipline" (despite that human nature may be apt to take it that way) but rather an opportunity for the assembly to come to, and to express, an opinion. Such opinion, even if it would approve the motion of censure, would carry no direct consequence to the member i.e. there would be no requirement of them to do anything like make an apology. (?)

So if I understand correctly, the member who originated comments intended, under such a main motion, to come "under censure" is not to construe this business as "pursuit of discipline" (despite that human nature may be apt to take it that way) but rather an opportunity for the assembly to come to, and to express, an opinion.

Yes.

Such opinion, even if it would approve the motion of censure, would carry no direct consequence to the member i.e. there would be no requirement of them to do anything like make an apology. (?)

Correct. A motion to censure is simply an expression of the assembly's disapproval, and carries no other consequences.

If you want further consequences, then you need to follow the procedures in Ch. XX of RONR.

Archived