The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absent Secretary

Guest Rick Hartley

Organization held elections at December meeting. Secretary was defeated. Defeated Secretary finally submitted minutes after the January meeting. The minutes from December were not signed. Does the new Secretary sign them or must we try to get the former secretary to sign. What do we do if she refuses. She has resigned from the organization.

• 7 months later...

If the secretary is absent from a meeting and someone else takes the minutes, whose responsibility is it to "prepare" the minutes for approval?  

The absent secretary seems unqualified to do anything else with the minutes other than record the approved minutes at the next meeting.  I ask because the chair of our board is sending emails to the absent secretary directing them to add content to the minutes.  This doesn't feel right and is putting the secretary under a fair amount of anxiety--uncertain that they should be editing minutes for a meeting they didn't attend.

The chair has NO business telling the secretary (new or old) what to add to the minutes.

That makes sense to me, but I was unable to find anything grepping through the rules online that either prohibited this or proscribed the protocol for absent secretaries except to state a replacement should be designated or that the clerk (if one exists) should record the minutes and give them to the secretary for distribution to the members before the next meeting.

UNIX is slipping into common parlance, eh?  Grepping, indeed!  Next it will be in the Oxford Dictionary.  Then  RTFM  after that.

Speaking of RTFM, the on-line version of "Robert" is not the right book.   The inviolability of the secretary's minutes is more or less implicit in §48, in that only the assembly can make corrections or changes.

Archived