The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes are wrong

wandajr

At our last meeting I made a motion that was seconded, voted on and carried. At our most recent meeting, before the minutes were passed, I pointed out that my motion, as written was wrong. The Chair has ruled that the seconder of the motion, who was not in attendance at the most recent meeting, should be queried as to his recollection of the motion. The seconder of the motion is now stating that he remembers the motion as the secretary has recorded it. What is the correct procedure for changing the motion in the minutes before they are adopted?

The correct form of the motion is the form stated by the chair before the vote. No other form matters. When the minutes are put up for approval, you should indicate that you have a correction which is normally accepted without argument, except in this case it appears there was a dispute. When there is a dispute, the assembly should take a vote as to which is the correct form.

You can also amend the approved minutes with a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted, under all the normal rules of that motion (in particular, it requires notice, a two-thirds vote, or a vote of the majority of the members).

The Chair has ruled that the seconder of the motion, who was not in attendance at the most recent meeting, should be queried as to his recollection of the motion.

When there is a dispute, the assembly should take a vote as to which is the correct form.

Which is to say the seconder of the motion has no unilateral authority in this regard, and no more so than any other member. If there is dispute on an offered correction, the members of the assembly present vote on the correction, majority vote required. The fact that the seconder was not even present at the meeting at which the minutes were up for approval leaves him out of the correction process. The chair erred.

Archived