The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Absentee voting

Guest P/C/Trustee

My club allows absentee voiting for our election of officers when a member is not able to attend the meeting for elections. We are currently facing a vote to increase dues at our next general membership meeting. We have members that are unable to attend this meeting but believe they should be able to cast an absentee vote same as they are permitted to do so for our election of officers.

I am thinking that these members correct and because they are unable to attend a scheduled meeting should be permitted to cast an absentee vote on this subject or any other subject that requires a membership vote.

I have read a lot on this subject but have found nothing that provides clarifaction.

RONR prohibits absentee voting unless your bylaws specifically permit it. And if you bylaws only permit absentee voting for elections, that's it. You can't extend that to voting on any other motions.

Further, RONR advises against mixing absentee votes with "in-person" votes so you might want to re-think your election rules.

"RONR prohibits absentee voting unless your bylaws specifically permit it. And if you bylaws only permit absentee voting for elections, that's it. You can't extend that to voting on any other motions."

Absentee voting maybe the incorrect verbiage. A membership would cast a vote via an absentee ballot.

Archived