The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correcting Minutes and Change of Chair

Pension Maven

I am the recording secretary for two public pension plans. This is my first experience doing minutes, much less for a public body. There seems to be some confusion about how some things should be handled, and I really haven't found an answer yet, so I'm hoping one of you lovely people can help me.

My first question is about correcting minutes. Yesterday, the previous meeting's minutes were on the agenda to be approved. There was some clarifying statement that one member wanted, so a vote was passed to amend one section of the minutes. The minutes were approved as amended. My question is do I make the change to the original minutes and put 'Approved as Corrected' or 'Revised', or is the fact that the change will be noted in the current minutes sufficient?

The second question has to do with approving minutes with a change in the chair. The bylaws of our boards state that the County Administrator is the chair of the committee. There has been a lot of personnel turnover in that particular position, and thus the chair has changed twice. Yesterday's meeting included the approval of minutes for a meeting that the current chair was not a part of. Would he sign the approved minutes, or would his predecessor who was the acting chair at the previous meeting sign their approval? It is happenstance that he is still with the agency, but what would the case be if the predecessor is no longer able to approve minutes for a previous meeting? I hope that makes sense. There is nothing in the bylaws that addresses who signs the minutes once they are approved.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Pension Maven

I am the recording secretary for two public pension plans. This is my first experience doing minutes, much less for a public body. There seems to be some confusion about how some things should be handled, and I really haven't found an answer yet, so I'm hoping one of you lovely people can help me.

My first question is about correcting minutes. Yesterday, the previous meeting's minutes were on the agenda to be approved. There was some clarifying statement that one member wanted, so a vote was passed to amend one section of the minutes. The minutes were approved as amended. My question is do I make the change to the original minutes and put 'Approved as Corrected' or 'Revised', or is the fact that the change will be noted in the current minutes sufficient?

Make the change to the original minutes, and the minutes of the current meeting will simply show the minutes of the previous meeting were approved as corrected. You don't need to detail in the current minutes what those changes were. RONR (11th ed.), p. 469, ll. 1-8.

The second question has to do with approving minutes with a change in the chair. The bylaws of our boards state that the County Administrator is the chair of the committee. There has been a lot of personnel turnover in that particular position, and thus the chair has changed twice. Yesterday's meeting included the approval of minutes for a meeting that the current chair was not a part of. Would he sign the approved minutes, or would his predecessor who was the acting chair at the previous meeting sign their approval? It is happenstance that he is still with the agency, but what would the case be if the predecessor is no longer able to approve minutes for a previous meeting? I hope that makes sense. There is nothing in the bylaws that addresses who signs the minutes once they are approved.

Under RONR, the Secretary signs the minutes. The chair would only sign them if the assembly requested it. RONR (11th ed.), p. 471, ll. 30-34

If the chair must sign them under your rules, it makes sense the current chair would sign them since he's presiding over their approval, but that's just my take on it. If the signature is a big issue, check with the County's solicitor, since RONR or my opinion won't matter.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Pension Maven

When you say a motion was made to amend the minutes and add a clarifying statement, do you mean a change to what was actually DONE at the meeting? If so, that is not proper. The minutes should only reflect what was DONE at this meeting -- not what someone thinks should have been done, or what the motion should have said. In other words, you do NOT change history.

Archived