The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Attendance at a meeting held twice on same day to accommodate shifts.

Guest Joyce

We hold our union meeting once monthly, in the morning then again in the evening to accommodate our shifts and allow people equal input. We need a minimum of 15 members to have a quorum. Often times we don't get the numbers or just squeak by...unless there is a hot item on the agenda!

If people attend both meetings (ie the executive members) can they be counted toward the quorum of each meeting?...everyone knows they can only vote at one meeting. I replaced the retired Sergeant-At-Arms and this issue came up at last meeting. I monitor the attendance book and advise the chair of our quorum status. No one knows the answer and I've kind of taken on this task. I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me.

If people attend both meetings (ie the executive members) can they be counted toward the quorum of each meeting?...everyone knows they can only vote at one meeting. I replaced the retired Sergeant-At-Arms and this issue came up at last meeting. I monitor the attendance book and advise the chair of our quorum status. No one knows the answer and I've kind of taken on this task. I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me.

Unless your bylaws specifically permit this, no. RONR requires that a quorum be made up of voting members (see p. 3, ll. 11-14; p. 345, ll. 3-5).

Your bylaws can modify this.

Archived