The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Threats by board member

Guest Carri

No. He actually works for the city we live in, we are a soccer league, the city writes the agreements allowing these two board members to have access (their soccer clubs) to city owned soccer fields. The threat has been made if they do not vote his way, they will not get agreements with the city....ex. He made them vote,for our replacement chairperson, who is ineffective but she does as our city,guy says.

No. He actually works for the city we live in, we are a soccer league, the city writes the agreements allowing these two board members to have access (their soccer clubs) to city owned soccer fields. The threat has been made if they do not vote his way, they will not get agreements with the city....ex. He made them vote,for our replacement chairperson, who is ineffective but she does as our city,guy says.

He would be free to say that, even in debate. This does not violate any rule in RONR.

He's free to say it, but I think the society would also be well within its rights to discipline him for it.

Or for saying, "Good evening," assuming he is under the control of the society. I would not this even a violation of decorum in debate. I think he is free to discuss the consequences of adopting a motion or electing an individual.

Or for saying, "Good evening," assuming he is under the control of the society. I would not this even a violation of decorum in debate. I think he is free to discuss the consequences of adopting a motion or electing an individual.

I agree that it's not a violation of decorum, but (unless I'm missing something), it seems a little more serious than "discussing the consequences." The implication seems to be that he has told members that if they do not vote with him, he will use his position with the city to take actions damaging to the society (limiting access to city soccer fields). Perhaps it's not indecorous, but it also doesn't sound like the kind of behavior you'd want from a board member.

That's why guns and alien nostril probes and crocodiles are legal, even if the liberals later take away all our guns and alien nostril probes.

[References for inhabitants of the USA, and not practicing law without a license]

What? They're taking away your alien nostril probes? Inconceivable!

Crazy [American] liberals...

(As you may or may not be aware, Canadian liberals are far less prone to such fits of insanity.)

I agree that it's not a violation of decorum, but (unless I'm missing something), it seems a little more serious than "discussing the consequences." The implication seems to be that he has told members that if they do not vote with him, he will use his position with the city to take actions damaging to the society (limiting access to city soccer fields). Perhaps it's not indecorous, but it also doesn't sound like the kind of behavior you'd want from a board member.

But, it is not outside of the rules.

If a member, who donates a lot of money to society, says in debate, "If you adopt the motion, I will never contribute another penny, other than my dues, to this group again," that might not be something you'd like. It does not violate any rule to say, or do, that.

But, it is not outside of the rules.

If a member, who donates a lot of money to society, says in debate, "If you adopt the motion, I will never contribute another penny, other than my dues, to this group again," that might not be something you'd like. It does not violate any rule to say, or do, that.

Depending on the circumstances, might it be questionable whether the member's threats are germane to the pending question?\

How sad really.

So nothing gets accomplished in a fair manner because the votes are done out of fear.

Makes zero sense.

If you don't think this sort of behavior is appropriate for a board member, see FAQ #20 for information on how to remove him from the board.

I also concur with Robert that the individual's employers at the city might be interested in this behavior.

Archived